Friday, May 24, 2013

Paul McCartney, Austin, May 23, 2013


It was pretty special when it was announced a few months ago that Paul McCartney would be playing for his first time ever in Austin. The idea that he'd be playing somewhere right in town at a reasonably small venue of 13,000 or so was unbelievable. When the tickets went on sale, a second show was announced, making what seemed like an impossible get, more of a reality for most. So, I was relieved when my ticket purchase went through for the 2nd show. 

I had seen Paul for the first time only a few years ago, during a trip to Boston. I really thought that might be the one and only time I'd get to see any Beatle, let alone getting to see Paul in my hometown. Last night's show was amazing. What a catalog of tunes. He played 38 songs for just over 3 hours. Favorites of mine included Let It Be, Paperback Writer (see below), Blackbird (solo acoustic, atop a riser), lots of Wings tunes and tributes to both John and George. It was hard and soft, even included pyro at times. It's wonderful to see someone so talented celebrating a lifetime of music. You can see the full setlist here.








No comments: