Saturday, February 06, 2010

Joseph Arthur, Cactus Cafe, Feb. 5, 2010

I had already purchased tickets to see Joseph Arthur at the Cactus Cafe, before all the news came out about its impending demise. Seems that UT has better plans for a legendary iconic listening space that has launched countless careers and brings an international reputation to the university. Efforts are underway to preserve the room, and you can learn more about it at www.savethecactus.org. Personally, I have seen numerous acts there since I moved to Austin, including Fastball, Carrie Rodriguez, Terri Hendrix, Kelly Willis and one really special performance by Marshall Crenshaw. These are shows that I will never forget. So, I hope UT will do the right thing and recognize the special place they have.

I saw Joseph Arthur a few weeks ago in San Francisco and really enjoyed him. This show was similar, with a combination of music and painting. It's funny how Arthur warms up during the show. The first part of the show, he's quiet, with little crowd banter. Then, he gets warmed up just in time to finish. He really is a rare talent, with beautiful vocals and poetic lyrics.

I was asked not to video in the room, as the show was being recorded for DVD. I did try to sneak a couple times, but the large head in front of me caused those attempts to fail. Sorry about that. I really wanted you to see AND HEAR the special experience of a Cactus show. Hopefully, the pictures will do that justice. I will see if I can ask for permission the next time I attend, probably for Mike Doughty, formerly of Soul Coughing, on the 16th.

Afterward, I stopped by Hole in the Wall on my way home. It's one of my favorite places and another legendary venue in close proximity to UT. I bet most of the student population has no idea the amazing talent that is generated in there nightly. It's a shame. We'll all be sorry when the venues are gone and Austin's no longer the live music capital. I hope I never see the day... Anyway, an old favorite Moonlight Towers was just taking the stage as I arrived. They're really solid with a great sound. Then, I stayed for a few songs by Gleeson. They complemented Moonlight Towers with a similar hard-rockin' style. Please check both out when you have a chance.












Moonlight Towers

Gleeson



Moonlight Towers


Gleeson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!