Saturday, August 02, 2008

Lollapalooza - Friday

Greetings from Lollapalooza. I made it to Chicago by noon yesterday, and got to the festival around 3pm. After checking in at the media area, I attempted to catch a bit of Jeff Tweedy's kids' set, but didn't make it in time. I heard that he played some regular Wilco tunes, Hummingbird, I'm the Man Who Loves You, Heavy Metal Drummer. Would have loved that. But, the big Wilco show is on tap for this evening.

So, back to the festival...Grant Park is GIGANTIC. It is easily twice as big as the area at Zilker for ACL Fest. It takes a good 20 minutes to go from one end to the other. There were probably, I'm guessing, about 100,000 people there. It was pretty hot yesterday, felt as hot as ACL...my luck...Chicago's first heatwave of the summer.
AT&T service was crap in the park. Couldn't get any Internet connection, although the park supposedly had open wireless. 3G didn't work either. Phone calls and texts were spotty, too. I had hoped to be able to post more photos right from the fest.

Stages are very crowded. I couldn't get close to anyone, but will try a little harder today.

Louis XIV



Duffy




Gerri is happy!



Gogol Bordello from afar


Mates of State


Lots of shady areas in Grant Park, but no folding camp chairs. They had a few of those chairs like they had in the Heineken area (Basecamp) last year. I spent a lot of time sitting on the ground.


Cat Power throws some paper to the crowd...set lists? People seemed pretty excited about it.





Raconteurs




Does It Offend You, Yeah interviewed in the Dell Lounge.



CSS, crazy Brazilians.




Pics from Radiohead. I have never seen a crowd as big at any outdoor festival.






Ready for Day 2!

2 comments:

M. Mehta said...

I think I was in denial about Radiohead being there-- I forgot! Was it awesome?

Holy cow, though, this festival looks like ACL on steroids. Not sure I can handle that kind of crowd anymore. . .

Awesome blogging!!!

Jon Zmikly said...

I'm pretty jealous of you Cindy...so many great bands. Also be happy you're not in the middle of this heat wave through TX right now. YEAH MIDWEST!!