Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wilco, ACL Live at Moody Theater, Dec. 1


It had been such a long time since I had seen Wilco, not once in 2010, having to go all the way back to the Cedar Park show in Oct. 2009. So, I was due. It was extra special to find out that Jeff Tweedy would be interviewed for an Overheard with Evan Smith taping, so I made sure I was in line early for that one. Such a charming and insightful discussion. Make sure you see it when it is aired or appears online.

I missed the ACL taping, but got to see their regular show at ACL Live, which was quite amazing. Their catalog is so huge, but they managed to play things from across the decades. Opening with the melancholy "Reservations,' then launching into the art rock of "Art of Almost," sounds crazy, but set just the perfect tone of contradiction and experimentation. Later it was "I'm the Man Who Loves You," "Pot Kettle Black," "She's a Jar," and even "Box Full of Letters," plus many, many more. Nick Lowe opened, with a special, quiet, acoustic set, then he joined Wilco to close out the show with a rousing "Cruel To Be Kind." Hope I don't have to wait two years to see them again!









No comments: