Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pixies, Austin Music Hall, Sept. 21, 2010



I've seen some legendary bands in my day, but few are as legendary as the Pixies. It's hard to believe that Doolittle came out more than 20 years ago, but the music still sounds fresh and relevant. While some of their songs have morphed into pop anthems (Here Comes Your Man and Monkey Gone to Heaven, for 2 examples), they remain a hard-edge punk band at the core. Loud and awesome. Every band since them has borrowed a bass line from Kim Deal. And, to this day, no one is like them. What a fantastic show.












Here Comes Your Man


Monkey Gone to Heaven


And because I live in Austin, I was able to drop by the Belmont on my way to the Pixies show and catch a few songs by Platinum-selling, '90s icons Fastball. Just another day in the music city :-) They sounded great, drew a big crowd.





No comments: