Friday, July 10, 2009

Spoon X1


It's the big Spoonfest in Austin this week, three nights at Stubbs. I'm in for two, Thurs. and Sat. I went last night, packed house, really hot. The show was fantastic and Britt and the band looked so happy to see so many people singing along enthusiastically to their tunes. I arrived late, missing Black Joe Lewis (my bad, but I don't think I would have made it in the heat from 7-11), but saw opener Quasi, indie trio, lots like X, but singer's voice reminded me of Ben Gibbard of Death Cab at times.

I really admire the career trajectory that Spoon has taken. It's been a long time building, but seems to be really paying off. I think they are poised for mega-stardom. They are definitely doing some of the most interesting things in pop music right now.

The highlight was "I Summon You" when everyone clapped and sang along. Britt seemed really pleased at the end. Lucky that I caught that moment on video. Enjoy!















I Summon You


Stay Don't Go


Jonathan Fisk


Black Like Me


Quasi

No comments: