Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nick Lowe and Ron Sexsmith at Antone's


Continuing my weekend of fun and another night at Antone's, I went to see Nick Lowe. My friend Robbin originally bought the ticket, but then ended up traveling to San Francisco this weekend. I was taking care of her doggie, Barney, so she kindly gave me her ticket. Nick Lowe is responsible for some of the most amazing pop songs in history. "Cruel To Be Kind," "Peace, Love, and Understanding," and even "I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock and Roll." With a new album last year, At My Age, Lowe is enjoying a resurgence in popularity, so much that his label decided to re-release many songs from his early catalog. Proving that excellent pop songs don't age, Lowe delivered a tight and funny solo acoustic set, exhibiting great comfort with the audience.

Canadian Ron Sexsmith opened


And joined Lowe on stage during the encore




Audience provides backing vocals on "When I Write the Book"




Cruel To Be Kind (I had to have this one)



A New One "I Read A Lot"


Next up for this weekend, I'll enjoy some local talent, Neal Mehta and Brent Adair at Clementine.

1 comment:

Wiley Koepp said...

The back-up harmony vocals in "When I Write The Book" were courtesy of a very thrilled Austin-based Nick Lowe tribute band, The Lowelies. :-)