Sunday, October 21, 2007

Downtown Vancouver

I got out of the conference at 5pm on Saturday, and wanted to use the daylight to use a little exploring. The downtown area is very accessible, easy to get around. But, it is still pretty cold and a bit rainy. The forecast improves after I leave. I explored the Waterfront area and then walked back down Robson Street, which is a big shopping district, very active on a Saturday evening.

One of the things I noticed right away upon arrival in Vancouver was that people were very nice and polite, also friendly, but not in a creepy way. It reminded me a lot of how Austinites are. I chalked it up to this being Canada and all. But, I passed a newstand yesterday, and the top story was about how Vancouver was named Canada's 2nd most polite city. So, I guess they are even considered extra polite among Canadian's. I found this article online that explains that it is a Reader's Digest survey. The #1 city is Moncton, New Brunswick, and according to the article "locals say simply asking for directions can get you invited over to a total stranger's house for tea."

Here are some photos from my afternoon walk. Today, I plan to take a Ferry across Burrard Inlet to North Vancouver (North Van, as they call it) to go to a market on Lonsdale Quay (pronounced "kee").
View from Waterfront across Burrard Inlet.


Downtown buildings. The Waterfront area has a lot of residential development.

This upside-down house is a sculpture featured on the Vancouver Sculpture Biennale. It is the "Device to Root Out Evil" by Dennis Oppenheimer. More can be found at http://www.vancouverbiennale.com/sculptures_page.php?sculptureID=17




No comments: